The SHW Group is an enterprise with an uninterrupted metallurgical tradition. The roots of the present-day SHW Group go back to the year 1365, when work began on the smelting of iron ore in the Swabian Jura. The company's development into a technological leader in the production of vehicle components contributing to a reduction in CO2 emissions results from an awareness of being rooted in a long tradition, accompanied by a readiness and desire for change and innovation.
The mining and smelting of iron ore around Königsbronn form the origin of the works there and of the whole of SHW.
The SHW Group is formed in 1921 from Schwäbische Hüttenwerke GmbH („SHW GmbH"), founded by Gutehoffnungshütte, Aktienverein für Bergbau und Hüttenbetrieb (nowadays MAN AG) and the state of Baden-Württemberg. The founding partners each hold a 50-percent stake in SHW GmbH. The business activities of SHW GmbH initially lie in the mining sector, the running and operation of smelting works, and trading in raw materials.
SHW builds the prototype of an automobile that is so advanced that no companies at that time want to take the production risk: its aluminium chassis, independent suspension and numerous other technical details will only flow into mass production several decades later.
In the 1950s, SHW begins producing brake discs at its Tuttlingen-Ludwigstal plant.
SHW starts sintered component production, which is shifted in 1968 from Friedrichstal near Baiersbronn to Aalen-Wasseralfingen.
Hydraulic pump production begins in the new Plant 2 in Bad Schussenried. The automotive supply business becomes increasingly important in the years to come.
SHW celebrates its 625th anniversary. The following years will mark a clear restructuring of corporate activities.
STT Technologies Inc. is founded in Toronto, Canada, as a joint venture with Tesma International Inc. (today: Magna) for the marketing of oil pumps in the NAFTA region. In 2008, STT sets up a plant in Mexico via the 100-percent-owned subsidiary STT Technologies de México, S.A. de C.V.
In 2005 the non-automotive business segments and their affiliated companies finally separate from the SHW Group. SHW since then operated under the name of Schwäbische Hüttenwerke Automotive GmbH. The new partner is financial investor Nordwind Capital, to whom MAN and the state of Baden-Württemberg sell their stakes.